Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sudden School, Transmission, Leaving Traces

Jackson Peterson
Essence Mahamudra is the same as the realization and tradition style of the Chan "Sudden Enlightenment" school, that is my lineage, which I teach above all else. Original Dzogchen was the same, but has pretty much disappeared. Most all the schools have become "gradual" teachings. Garab Dorje would lament if he saw the state of affairs today. The key is really the capacity of the teacher. Any student is workable within reason. "There is no path, no doctrine, no traveler, no attainment, no guru... and no one to be freed from suffering". These are all empty labels...
Like · · December 29, 2013 at 6:37pm

    Harry Rice and 2 others like this.
    Jackson Peterson My point is that the "sudden school" is a valid teaching. A good teacher doesn't compromise with resorting to gradual methods. The student returns and returns but the master remains in the Natural State. It brings about a complete transformation in the mind/brain the student, like hitting the "reset" button. That reset button gets hit again and again with each encounter until it "self-refreshes". The view is really that of the Prajnaparamita teachings. My first Kagyu master of Mahamudra was Sachyu Tulku at Swayambhu in Nepal in 1978. He transmitted this "essence" by his simple presence of being the Natural State. My "sudden enlightenment" Chan teacher in China transmitted this same Dharma to me via questions and responses that obliterated my discursive mind. The Natural State was fully and nakedly exposed. I have never met a Lama or teacher, including Norbu and all my other Dzogchen teachers that had that capacity.
    December 29, 2013 at 6:57pm · Like · 2
    Jackson Peterson I am not "against" the gradual approach, I am simply saying that the "sudden approach" is its own teaching method. Often I employ both together, but not out of necessity, but because of time limitations, especially when teaching a group. Its a "one on one" transmission.
    December 29, 2013 at 7:03pm · Like · 2
    John Tan Hi Jax,

    Despite all differences we may have about lower yanas, no practices needed, Absolute…I really appreciate ur zealous attempt to bring this message into view and I agree with u wholeheartedly on this aspect of “transmission”.

    If one truly wants this essence to be “transmitted”, how can it be otherwise?

    For what that is to be passed is truly of different dimension, how can it be adulterated with words and forms? The ancient teachers are extremely serious observing and waiting for the right condition to pass the essence unreservedly and wholeheartedly. So much so that when the essence is transmitted, it must boil the blood and penetrate deep into the bone marrow. The entire body-mind must become one opening eye. Once open, everything turns “spirit”, mind intellect drops and what’s left is aliveness and intelligence everywhere!

    Jax, I sincerely hope u well, just don’t leave trace in the Absolute.
    December 29, 2013 at 10:29pm · Like · 3
    Jackson Peterson Very nice John Tan! Yes, in 1978 in China, my Chan teacher Ten Wai Shih was 84. He was a close lay student of Hsu Yun. Yen Wai had the reputation of carrying on the pure "sudden" transmission from Huineng through his master, Hsu Yun. He was the most unique teacher I ever came across. I owe to him and the lineage the efforts to keep this transmission pure. But as you correctly say: "this is a transmission outside "letters, doctrines and words" that can only be shared "heart to heart". Regarding your final comment, my response: I am only a momentary trace in the Absolute! May this mere trace remain trace less! Thanks much for your warm hearted encouragement! Your comments are always treasured...
    December 29, 2013 at 10:58pm · Like · 3

No comments:

Post a Comment